I’ve been dreaming about these clams simmered in spicy, garlicky tomato sauce ever since having them at a local tapas place last month. The rest of our meal was just ok, but the clams were outstanding – I wanted to drink the leftover sauce right from the plate. It was one of those meals that I immediately knew I had to put my own spin on at home.
I gave my version a more sultry, smokey flavor by using fire roasted tomatoes and a big shake of smoked paprika and rounded it out with a big pat of butter. Served with wedges of sourdough bread for soaking up the extra sauce and a big plate of garlicky green beans, this is the kind of meal you’ll happily linger over for hours.
Spicy Spanish Clams
- 1 large can (28 ounces) Muir Glen Organic fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 24 littleneck or middleneck clams, scrubbed well
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Lightly toasted sourdough bread, for serving
- Puree the tomatoes in a food processor or blender.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan set over medium-high heat. Add the garlic; cook 2-3 minutes or until light golden brown and very fragrant. Pour in the tomato puree, smoked paprika, red peppers, and cayenne. Reduce heat to low and let simmer.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the clams in a single layer (work in batches if necessary) and cook until they pop open – about 5-8 minutes. Stir 1 cup of the cooking liquid and the butter into the sauce to thin it out a bit. Add the cooked clams in their shells; simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve with big wedges of lightly toasted sourdough bread for dipping.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 203kcal Calories from fat 101|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 11g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|