These Spicy Broccoli Triangles are another one of those recipes that I’ve been making for year but somehow never got around to sharing here. I get so focused on creating new recipes for the blog that I forget about some of my old favorites!
These broccoli triangles came into existence back when I was in grad school. I was on a major spanakopita kick at the time, so I always had frozen phyllo sheets on hand. One day I decided to switch things up and give them a southwestern twist with broccoli and cheddar cheese. Things haven’t been the same since. These were a huge hit at my Christmas party that year, and have been a favorite snack ever since.
I use “cheese-free cheese” (as the kids are calling it these days) in these triangles. I always have! Back then, I started using it because it’s so much lower in fat and calories than regular cheese. My friends and I were all on diets in those days, so that meant we could eat more without feeling guilty. It’s also always appreciated at parties, since it means friends with lactose intolerance can still enjoy them. I used GO Veggie! Lactose & Soy Free shreds for these because I love the way it melts. It gets all gooey and bubbly inside of the triangles, just like regular cheese does, and it doesn’t get rubbery when it cools off, meaning these broccoli triangles are just as delicious at room temperature as they are hot from the oven.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, finely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups GO Veggie! Lactose & Soy Free Cheddar or Pepper Jack Flavor Shreds
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- 16 phyllo sheets, thawed
- salsa, for serving
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat the oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes, or until softened. Add the broccoli, jalapeno, and water. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the broccoli is soft and the water is evaporated. Remove from heat and let cool completely, about 10 minutes.
- To prepare the phyllo, lay one sheet out in front of you on a clean surface, with the short end facing you. (Cover the remaining sheets with a damp towel to keep them from drying out.) Lightly brush the phyllo sheet with olive oil. Place a second sheet directly on top of the first sheet. Cut the phyllo into three long strips.
- Place one heaping tablespoon of filling on the end of each phyllo strip that’s closest to you. Fold the corner up around the filling to make a small triangle, then keep flipping/rolling the triangle until you get to the end (like you’re folding a paper football or a flag.) Brush each triangle with oil and arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets until you have no filling left.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until crisp and light golden brown. Serve with salsa for dipping.
Disclosure: This recipe was created for my client, GO Veggie! Thank you for supporting the brands that keep me inspired in the kitchen.