I’ve been really lazy about cooking lately. I just haven’t felt like putting together a weekly plan or going grocery shopping… and without a plan, any chance of me cooking goes right out the window. We were both getting kind of cranky about it, so a few weeks ago I promised Shawn that I would actually cook the next day. Of course, I had no inspiration. So I did what any 20-something (err… 30-something) would do – I turned to Pinterest. It’s such a great resource for keeping things organized! I had pinned these gorgeous lentil cauliflower burgers to my “to make” board at some point, and the second I saw them on there I knew what we were having for dinner.
I was originally drawn in by the stunning photo (seriously, go look at it) but I was also really intrigued by the recipe, which is basically just cauliflower, lentils, and spices: all things that I almost always have on hand. They’re also really neutrally flavored, so they go with almost any toppings. I loaded mine up with chipotle barbecue sauce, roast poblano pepper, and avocado. (And some Monterey Jack which they honestly didn’t need.)
Like most homemade veggie burgers these take a little bit of effort to make. The recipe is pretty straightforward though, and if you multitask by cooking the lentils while you roast the cauliflower, you can have dinner on the table in a little over a half hour.
This burger, veggie burger loaded with jack cheese, roast poblanos, avocado, and chipotle barbecue sauce is inspired by Vegan Richa's Red Lentil Cauliflower Burger with Chipotle Habanero Mayo . Onion rings make a great accompaniment. Alexia 's are my favorite and, as luck would have it, they cook at the same temperature – just arrange them around the burgers on the baking sheet! If you feel extra-fancy, you can stick a ring on the roll along with your burger, too!
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 cups cauliflower florets (defrosted if frozen)
- 2 poblano peppers, halved, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 ounces reduced fat Monterey Jack, shredded
- 4 soft rolls, split
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 4 Tablespoon chipotle barbecue sauce
- Heat oven to 400*F. Add the cauliflower to a food processor and process for 30 seconds, or until it is finely chopped and has the texture of rice. Place the poblanos on the edge of a baking sheet; spread the cauliflower in a thin layer on the rest of the sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until cauliflower is crisp. Place the poblano in a sealed plastic bag to allow it to steam.
- Meanwhile, rinse the lentils and pick through them to remove any small rocks or other debris. Add to a pot, along with water, salt, garlic powder, and chili powder. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are soft and the water has absorbed.
- Add cooked lentils, roasted cauliflower, remaining spices, and flour to a bowl. Mash gently. Mix well. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Form into 4 patties. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly crispy. Top with cheese and bake another 5 minutes.
- Place piece of poblano on the bottom part of each bun. Top with a burger, avocado slices, and barbecue sauce.