Guess what? My chicken, bacon, and scallion potstickers earned me a spot the second round of the Saucy Mama “Sliced” recipe contest! So exciting!
For this round, we were asked to create an entrée using mustard and this week’s secret ingredient: beans. I had so many fun ideas for this, but in the end I decided that I really wanted to make something with a mustard cream sauce. I took a trip to the newly opened co-op and let the ingredients inspire me. It’s really easy to cook a good meal when you have ingredients as great as these, but the mustard cream sauce was truly the highlight of the dish. I was kind of tempted to lick the last of it off my plate.
I used the hatch chili mustard, since I thought it was stand up to the bold flavors of the bacon and kale better than the other varieties. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. The mustard as spicy as I feared it might be – it was flavorful, but not too assertive. It actually worked really nicely with the other ingredients and gave the final dish a creamy chowder type feel.
I loved all of the texture that this had! Velvety rich sauce, flaky fish, crisp bacon, creamy beans, and well… I don’t know how to describe the texture of kale, but it worked.
I thought it was pretty perfect – now I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that the Saucy Mamas agree and send me through to the final round!
Seared Cod with Mustard Cream Sauce over White Beans and Kale
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced kale
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cod fillets
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons Saucy Mama hatch chili mustard
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Add the bacon to a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook until bacon crisps and fat renders, 5-7 minutes. Pour off all but about 1 tablespoon of fat. Return the pan to the heat and add the garlic and kale. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until kale begins to wilt. Add chicken stock and beans. Reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a second pan over medium heat. Season cod filets with chili powder, then add to oil. Cook 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from pan; tent with foil to keep warm.
- Return pan to heat. Add mustard and cream. Whisk to combine. Pour in 1/4 cup chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until sauce has reduced by about 2/3.
- Serve cod over the white bean and kale sautee. Spoon mustard sauce over the top.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 285 Calories from fat 216|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 24||37%|
|Saturated Fat 6||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 1||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|
Disclosure: I was provided with samples of mustard to use in the recipes that I develop for the “Sliced” contest but was not compensated in any other way.