Celebrate the favors of summer with this savory vegetable crumble, filled with squash, fennel, and leeks and topped with a crispy, crumbly crust. I created this savory vegetable crumble for my client, GO VEGGIE. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep me inspired in the kitchen.
I know I’m a little late to the party, but wanted to share a delicious gluten-free recipe to celebrate Celiac Awareness Month in May. (Seriously, where did May go? I feel like it flew by in a blink.) This savory crumble is great because in addition to being gluten-free, it’s also vegan – and it’s so delicious that everyone will love it even if they don’t have dietary restrictions.
I’ve been thinking about making a vegetable crumble since I was in Sweden last summer and witnessed the brilliance of Top With Cinnamon in the kitchen. Izy shared a simple pie or crisp with us every night, and it was without fail one of the highlights of each day. She’s a genius with dessert. One night she made a savory crisp with a thick layer of oats and roast tomatoes…and the rest is history. I’ve been dreaming up ideas for a savory vegetable crumble every since.
For this crumble, I wanted to highlight the flavors of summer. I chose a simple but flavorful combination of eggplant, zucchini, that reminds me of ratatouille. Since the vegetables release a lot of water while they cook, I started by cooking them down on the stovetop.
Then, I topped them with a delicious crumble topping made from oats, garbanzo bean flour, and GO VEGGIE’s vegan parmesan.
If you’ve never tried garbanzo bean flour before, you definitely need to try it out. It has a really distinctive flavor that I adore, and it just so happens to be gluten-free. (If you have extra, use it to make socca or dosas!) GO VEGGIE’s vegan parmesan is another item I always have in my fridge. A little sprinkle goes a long way toward adding lots of salty, cheesy flavor to your recipes, with double the calcium and 30% less fat that dairy cheese. I use it in everything from puff pastry pizza to pistachio pesto.
Savory Vegetable Crumble (Vegan and Gluten Free)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small fennel bulb, sliced thinly
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
For the crumble
- 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 Tablespoons GO VEGGIE vegan parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat your oven to 350ºF.
- Heat the oil in a large, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, zucchini, leek, and fennel; cook 10 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic, tomatoes, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats, parmesan, and lemon zest. Stir in the olive oil until everything is combined and all of the dry ingredients are moistened. Sprinkle over the vegetables in an even layer.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the top of the crumble is browned and crisp.
- Serve with additional parmesan, as desired.
Recipe NotesIf you don't have an oven-proof skillet, transfer the cooked vegetables to a pie plate after step 2.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 361 Calories from fat 143|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 16||25%|
|Saturated Fat 2||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 13||52%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|