When all else fails, spike your coffee with rum and call it a night.
So, I feel a little bit like I’m phoning it in with this “recipe” but I hope you’ll forgive me. I’ve had a week of coffee-related recipe flops: from soupy custard to spongy cookies to an egg cream that looked like mud (and didn’t taste much better).
After all of that I decided that 1) I was tired of wasting good coffee and 2) I could really use a drink of something a little stiffer.
It turns out that spiced rum + coconut coffee + coconut milk was a very, very good idea. These drinks are creamy and coconutty and remind me of the beach. I’m a little obsessed.
If you're impatient like me, cool your coffee down quickly by stirring in an ice cube or two.
10 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 3/4 cups strongly brewed coconut coffee, chilled (I like Green Mountain)
- 1 1/2 ounces spiced rum
- 1 cup coconut milk (from a carton)
- 4 tablespoons whipped topping
- Fill two 12-ounce glasses with ice.
- Toast the coconut in a small pan over high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until it begins to brown. Immediately remove from heat.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the coffee and rum; shake well. Strain into the pint glasses. Pour in the coconut milk; stir. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut.