My schedule has been crazy lately and I’ve been living more or less on take out. It’s amazing how a diet like that leaves me craving vegetables! When I had recent a Saturday all to myself, I knew I wanted to make a “real” meal full of veggies.
Variations on this roasted root vegetable and blue cheese vinaigrette dish have been flying through my head ever since I saw something similar in this month’s issue of Food+Wine. I loved how colorful it was and also how it used both the roots and the greens of the beets. But more than that, I loved how it’s made from ingredients that can be found at the farmer’s market throughout winter – well after the growing season is over.
In my typical fashion, I made a few changes to the original recipe – both because that’s just what I do and to accommodate the ingredients that I could find (the beet selection was lacking and I was craving something stinkier than goat cheese).
The only word I can think of to describe the flavor of the resulting dish is healthy, but I mean that in the best way. The greens taste bitter and cleansing, and roasting the carrots leaves them with an intense sweetness that i love. Parsnips are an often overlooked vegetable, but I loved the peppery flavor that they provide.
This is definitely a dish I’ll be going back to all winter. It’s delicious on its own as a light meal, but also worked well on the side of the roast beef that I served it with. With a few tweaks here and there, I think it could be interesting over pasta or with brown rice, and maybe even with a sturdy fish like snapper. Ooh, and over soft polenta! The possibilities are endless.
Roasted Root Vegetables with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
- 4 medium Red Beets, roots peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges, greens chopped
- 4 Carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 4 Parsnips, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves, quartered
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 2 ounces Blue Cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss the beets with 1 teaspoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in one third of an oven proof skillet. Repeat with the carrots and parsnips. Scatter the garlic over the vegetables.
- Set the skillet over high heat until you hear it begin to sizzle, about 5 minutes. Cover and transfer to the oven. Roast for 35 minutes, or until tender.
- In a second skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add the beet greens and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- While the vegetables roast, whisk together the vinegar, remaining oil, and half of the shallot. Stir in the cheese.
- Toss together the vegetables and the greens. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the dish and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 1153kcal Calories from fat 535|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 59g||91%|
|Saturated Fat 17g||85%|
|Dietary Fiber 38g||152%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|