A few weeks ago I didn’t feel like cooking dinner so I unearthed a bag of Alexia chipotle roast sweet potatoes and a veggie corn dog from the depths of the freezer and called it a night. (I know.)
It was good, but considering both elements of the meal were already prepared it was awfully fussy. The potatoes required me to stand over the stove for longer than I would have liked to and by the time they were done, my corn dog was cold. It also made me feel lazy – especially considering this meal of sweet potatoes, black beans, and roast chicken with a honey-chipotle glaze requires less energy, tastes fresher, and is cheaper to make. You don’t even have to stand over the stove while it cooks.
Roast Honey-Chipotle Chicken with Sweet Potatoes & Black Beans
Serves 1, with leftovers
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
This recipe follows the same basic formula as my easy herb-roast chicken with vegetables but is updated with spicy, smokey, and sweet Southwestern flavors. The potatoes and beans make the dish pretty filling, so I find that it’s enough for one dinner and one lunch. Add another potato and some more chicken if you want to serve two people!
Save the extra chipotles in adobo for another use – they’ll keep in the refrigerator for a few days and can also be frozen. I’m planning to use mine to make chili later this week.
- 1 Sweet Potato, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup Corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, minced
- 1 Tablespoon cold Butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Adobo (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1 boneless, skinless Chicken Breast
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place the sweet potatoes, black beans, corn and jalapeno in a 9×11 baking dish. Scatter the butter over the top.
- Whisk together the adobo and honey. Spread the sauce over both sides of the chicken breast. Toss any remaining sauce with the vegetables, then place the chicken on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and the chicken is cooked through. Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving.