This is a pretty atypical post for me, but I thought it might help explain why I don’t post very often (although I’m getting better!). Certain times of the year, I know there will always be a number of nights where I don’t get home from work until at least 7 or 8. I try to plan a few quick meals for these nights that are easy enough for my husband to cook. (note: the sub in the photograph has not been cut yet. That size will serve two.)
These subs take 15 minutes to make- if that. Faster than delivery! Feel free to use beef meatballs if you want, but I like to use vegetarian meatballs for a few reasons: 1) they’re a lot healthier than any other premade meatball you”ll find and 2) I have yet to find a premade beef meatball that doesn’t’ have a weird, spongy texture. If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, I highly recommend their meatless meatballs. Since we moved, we don’t have one so we make do with whatever we can find.
- 1 tsp. oil
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6-10 vegetarian meatballs
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- seasonings to taste (I like oregano, basil, and red peppers)
- Italian Bread (whole wheat works well)
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella (I used fat free tonight)
1. Preheat broiler. Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Sautee peppers and onions until soft. Add meatballs, sauce and seasonings and simmer until heated through.
2. Cut Bread in half. Spoon meatballs, sauce, and vegetables into bread. Top with cheese. Broil until cheese melts- about 3 minutes.