An earthy quiche filled with red bell peppers, mushrooms, tarragon, and goat cheese.
This quiche provençal is one of my favorite variations on quiche. It’s based on the moules provençal at one of my favorite local restaurants. The predominant flavors is red bell pepper, but it also features mushrooms, swiss chard, tangy goat cheese, and tarragon.
The flavors are earthy and wonderful for dinner or for breakfast. I was too tired to make a homemade crust, so I used a store-bought whole wheat one. It was fabulous; I recommend that you do the same.
- 1 small bunch Swiss chard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon
- French grey sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 prepared pie crust, preferably whole wheat
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese (chevre), crumbled
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the Swiss chard and cook until wilted, 2-3 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers and mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Season with tarragon, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange the Swiss chard in an even layer in the bottom of the pie crust. Top with cooked vegetables. Pour the egg mixture over the top, allowing it to seep down though the fillings. Dot with crumbled goat cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350ºF and bake another 20-30 minutes or until the center of the quiche is set.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 226 Calories from fat 157|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 17||26%|
|Saturated Fat 3||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 3||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|