The best pizza I’ve ever had was at a little neighborhood restaurant in Paris. It was the kind of place where, rather than letting me order a second glass of wine to meet the credit card minimum, they trusted me to go to the ATM across the street and come back to pay. The pizza, which I later learned is called Pizza Quattro Stagioni (or Four Seasons Pizza), was topped with salty prosciutto, earthy mushrooms, delicate artichoke hearts, and briny kalamata olives.
I’ve been pretty uninspired in the kitchen lately. I blame the weather. I want it to be spring. It’s supposed to be spring. I want to eat vegetables and drink lemonade and go outside to take pictures where the light is good. But it’s still freezing cold. There’s snow on the ground and the grocery store is stocked with that same old boring produce that’s been there all winter. I’m over it. And honestly, I’m kind of over food in general. I won’t lie: last night, I had toast with peanut butter for dinner.
Prosciutto and Artichoke Quiche
Use your favorite pie crust recipe of start with a storebought crust. I like this recipe from Cook's Illustrated , which is really easy to make and generally fool-proof. Look for artichoke hearts either in the freezer section or canned in water (don't use the kind that are marinated in oil.)
- 1 Pie Crust
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1/4 cup Evaporated Milk
- Ground Pepper
- 1 cup sliced White Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Quartered Artichoke Hearts
- 2 ounces Prosciutto
- 2 ounces soft Goat Cheese (Chevre)
- Heat oven to 400F.
- Unroll pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate, or press into a tart pan. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, and evaporated milk until light and frothy. Season with ground pepper.
- Scatter mushrooms in bottom of pie crust. Top with artichoke hearts and prosciutto. Pour egg mixture over fillings, Top with crumbled goat cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat and bake an additional 30-40 minutes or until the center of the quiche is set, covering the quiche with foil if the crust begins to brown too quickly.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 285kcal Calories from fat 145|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 16g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|