These whole wheat peanut butter and banana muffins have fun twist – bacon baked right inside! They bake up tall and fluffy in just about an hour.
[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”4705936″]
This month Jones Dairy Farm challenged me to come up with a make-ahead breakfast recipe that included bacon. At first, I was stumped. It seemed like nothing I could come up with would keep very well. Then it came to me – muffins! Back-to-school time always puts me in the mood for muffins, and the cool mornings we’ve had for the past week or so have been perfect for baking.
Once I decided on muffins, the hardest part was coming up with a flavor. I briefly considered bacon-blueberry muffins but then decided I wanted something a little more… indulgent. Peanut butter + banana + bacon it was! And yes, they’re fabulous.
Banana and honey keep these muffins nice and moist and there’s about a half slice of Jones Dairy Farm’s dry aged bacon in each one – just enough to be prominent and make them special, but not so much that it completely takes over. Everything works together, but the dominant flavor is definitely the peanut butter.
You can use either whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour in these muffins. The former will give you a darker muffin (pictured above) with a slightly nuttier “healthy” taste. The latter will result in a lighter golden muffin with a slightly more delicate taste. Whichever you choose, don’t leave out the ground oats – it gives them a lighter texture and adds fiber.
Peanut Butter, Banana + Bacon Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oats, ground
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 6 slices Jones Dairy Farm Dry Aged Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, ground oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a second mixing bowl, mix the milk, peanut butter, brown sugar, honey, and egg until smooth. Beat in the banana.
- Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones until just combined – do not overmix. Stir in the crumbled bacon. Divide the batter between the 12 prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 265kcal Calories from fat 103|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 11g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
I created this recipe for my client, Jones Dairy Farm. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the companies that help keep me inspired in the kitchen!