Life has been insane lately and I haven’t had the time or energy to post, but I couldn’t wait any longer to post these.
I hadn’t had pineapple upside down cake in forever. I actually kind of forgot that it existed! But a few months ago, a little pineapple upside down bundt cake at Panera caught my eye. i bought one and was happily surprised when the cakes were fully of crunchy little poppy seeds. I loved the texture that they gave the cake! I immediately knew that I wanted to recreate them at home.
These came out great! The pineapple reminds me of summer and makes even the dreariest winter day seem immediately tropical. The pineapple and brown sugar almost melts into the cake, which is moist and doughy with the great crunch.
Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cakes
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can pineapple rings
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla 1
- tablespoon dark rum (optional)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a cupcake pan with non-stick spray. Sprinkle 1/12th of the brown sugar into the bottom of each cup, then top with a pineapple ring.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Add the butter and sugar to another bowl and beat until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing in between additions. Beat in the vanilla and rum.
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix to combine. Mix in the milk and pineapple juice, then stir in the remaining flour. Gently fold in the poppy seeds.
- Divide the batter among the cups of your pan, so that the pineapple ring is on the bottom. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Allow to cool, then invert pan onto a baking sheet to remove cakes.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 318 Calories from fat 136|
|% Daily Value|
|Saturated Fat 9||45%|
|Total Fat 15||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 1||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|