[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”4705936″]
I know I just posted an awesome turkey burger recipe the other day, what what can say? I’m on a roll. (*groan*)
Not too long ago, Shawn and I went for dinner at a place with a pretty extensive burger list and the meatball burger caught my eye. It totally wasn’t something that I would normally order, but for some reason I just couldn’t resist. I enjoyed every last bite, laughing the whole time that it was such a guy sort of thing to order.
So, what’s a meatball burger? It’s a giant meatball that gets smashed into a patty. It’s served on garlic bread, smothered in sauce and cheese. It’s a like a meatball parmesan sub, but smaller and with more meatball and less sauce.
They’re awesome. I also knew they’d be perfect for this week’s Sunday Supper, which has a “man food” theme. Making them at home posed a few problems though: First, I usually add egg to my meatballs, and I’m not a fan of well-done burgers. Serving a medium well burger with egg in it was definitely not an option. Second, I just started a 21 day plant-based challenge and meat definitely isn’t part of the program. (I had hoped to make these before I started the challenge, but due to problem #1 that didn’t happen.)
Both problems were solved when I decided to swap out the traditional meatball patty for a vegetarian version. The vegetarian option might be a little less stereotypically “man food” but they definitely still got two thumbs up from Shawn.
These are some of the most delicious – and easiest to make – homemade veggie burgers I've tried. Seasoned as they are here, they definitely have a meatball vibe to them but you can easily swap out the Italian seasoning and parsley for other flavors if you want to make a more traditional burger to use with other toppings. For other veggie burger options, be sure to check out my Ultimate Veggie Burgers and Smokey Chipotle, Lentil, and Cauliflower Burgers.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup chopped crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 hamburger rolls, split
- 1 teaspoon [b]garlic powder
- [/b]1/2 cup marinara sauce, warmed
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Heat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion, carrots, and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until they start to soften.Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Add the cooked vegetables, rice, walnuts, parsley, and seasonings to a food processor. Process until a crumbly mixture forms, 20-30 seconds, scraping down the sides as needed. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Form the mixture into 4 large balls. Roll the balls in flour until they're lightly coated, then flatten them into patties (about 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch thick).
- Melt the butter in your sauté pan. One by one, place the cut sides of the rolls into the melted butter to coat them. Place on a baking sheet, buttered side up. Season with garlic powder. Bake 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Place the mozzarella on the top half of the rolls; cook 3-4 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt.
- In the same pan, cook the veggie burgers for 5 minutes on each side.
- To serve, place a veggie burger on a bottom roll. Cover with 2 tablespoons warmed marinara. Top with a top roll, cheese side down.
Adapted from Pure Ella
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.