[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”4705936″]
I know I just posted an awesome turkey burger recipe the other day, what what can say? I’m on a roll. (*groan*)
Not too long ago, Shawn and I went for dinner at a place with a pretty extensive burger list and the meatball burger caught my eye. It totally wasn’t something that I would normally order, but for some reason I just couldn’t resist. I enjoyed every last bite, laughing the whole time that it was such a guy sort of thing to order.
So, what’s a meatball burger? It’s a giant meatball that gets smashed into a patty. It’s served on garlic bread, smothered in sauce and cheese. It’s a like a meatball parmesan sub, but smaller and with more meatball and less sauce.
They’re awesome. I also knew they’d be perfect for this week’s Sunday Supper, which has a “man food” theme. Making them at home posed a few problems though: First, I usually add egg to my meatballs, and I’m not a fan of well-done burgers. Serving a medium well burger with egg in it was definitely not an option. Second, I just started a 21 day plant-based challenge and meat definitely isn’t part of the program. (I had hoped to make these before I started the challenge, but due to problem #1 that didn’t happen.)
Both problems were solved when I decided to swap out the traditional meatball patty for a vegetarian version. The vegetarian option might be a little less stereotypically “man food” but they definitely still got two thumbs up from Shawn.
Meatball Style Veggie Burgers
These are some of the most delicious – and easiest to make – homemade veggie burgers I've tried. Seasoned as they are here, they definitely have a meatball vibe to them but you can easily swap out the Italian seasoning and parsley for other flavors if you want to make a more traditional burger to use with other toppings. For other veggie burger options, be sure to check out my Ultimate Veggie Burgers and Smokey Chipotle, Lentil, and Cauliflower Burgers.
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup chopped crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 hamburger rolls, split
- 1 teaspoon [b]garlic powder
- [/b]1/2 cup marinara sauce, warmed
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Heat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion, carrots, and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until they start to soften.Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Add the cooked vegetables, rice, walnuts, parsley, and seasonings to a food processor. Process until a crumbly mixture forms, 20-30 seconds, scraping down the sides as needed. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Form the mixture into 4 large balls. Roll the balls in flour until they're lightly coated, then flatten them into patties (about 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch thick).
- Melt the butter in your sauté pan. One by one, place the cut sides of the rolls into the melted butter to coat them. Place on a baking sheet, buttered side up. Season with garlic powder. Bake 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Place the mozzarella on the top half of the rolls; cook 3-4 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt.
- In the same pan, cook the veggie burgers for 5 minutes on each side.
- To serve, place a veggie burger on a "bottom" roll. Cover with 2 tablespoons warmed marinara. Top with a "top" roll, cheese side down.
Recipe NotesAdapted from Pure Ella
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 215 Calories from fat 46|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 4||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.