Has is really been over a year since I’ve posted a proper risotto recipe? I’ve clearly been slacking when it comes to my signature dish. (That farro “risotto” a few weeks ago was delicious, but it doesn’t count – it doesn’t even use rice!)
This week, we’re celebrating Mother’s Day at Sunday Supper. I thought about making Chicken Cordon Bleu, the first meal I really remember cooking for my mom, but I didn’t really feel like eating that. So I made a summer-y risotto topped with seared scallops and lemon salt instead. It doesn’t have any significance – I don’t think I’ve ever even seen my mom eat risotto – but it’s a decadent dish that’s the perfect way to pamper someone.
Serve it up with a wedge of Lavender Dark Chocolate Tart and she’ll feel like a queen.
- 4 cups chicken stock or water
- ¼ cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup Arborio rice, or other medium-grain risotto rice
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 2 ounces Parmesan, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound large sea scallops, pat dry
- coarse sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- In a small saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring the stock to a simmer. Reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a 3-quart pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic; cook until soft – about 5 minutes. Add the rice and half the lemon zest; stir so that each grain of rice is coated with oil and appears glossy. Cook the rice for 3-4 minutes, or until it is mostly translucent. Stir in the wine, scraping up any bits that have hardened in the bottom of the pan.
- Add 1 cup of the warm stock. Stir constantly until all the stock has absorbed into the rice. Continue this process, adding the stock ¼ cup at a time, until the rice is creamy and soft – the whole process will take about 20 minutes. Stir in the spinach, parmesan, and lemon juice, until the spinach is wilted.
- Heat the oil and butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted, add the scallops. Cook 2 to minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Stir together ¼ teaspoon of the remaining lemon zest with ¼ teaspoon sea salt.
- Serve the scallops on top of the risotto. Sprinkle with lemon salt and season to taste with black pepper.
This week, #SundaySupper is celebrating Mother’s Day! Be sure to check out what the other participants brought to the table. There are loads of great recipes for any time of day!
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Blueberry Coffee Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cornbread Pancakes with Blackberries from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Crepes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot N Sweet Mango Chutney from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Lemon Glazed Raspberry Scones from Juanita’s Cocina
- Quiche Lorraine from Supper for a Steal
- Seafood Quiche from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote from Noshing with the Nolands
- Sweet French Breakfast Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Vidalia Onion Quiche from Comfy Cuisine
Mother’s Day Entrees:
- Cod with Stewed Tomatoes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Herbed Goat Cheesefrom Foxes Love Lemons
- Lemon Risotto from Healthy. Delicious.
- Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp Caper Sauce from Family Foodie
- Pork dumpling (Shumai) from The Urban Mrs.
Mother’s Day Sides:
- Spaetzle from Magnolia Days
Mother’s Day Desserts and Drinks:
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Gotta Get Baked
- Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie from Ruffles & Truffles
- Espresso Brownies from What Smells So Good?
- Fresh Blackberry Elderflower Sorbet from Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Fig and Walnut Pie from Vintage Kitchen
- Gluten Free Coconut Cake with Chocolate Ganache, Berries, and Fresh Whipped Cream fromNeighborfood
- Lavender Shortbread Cookies from girlichef
- Lemon Meringue Pie from Pies and Plots
- Lemon Petit Fours from Home Cooking Memories
- Lemon Sorbet in Prosecco from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Milky Way Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Coconut Pies from La Cocina de Leslie
- Mini Strawberry and Cheese Pies from Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Apple Crisp from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mom’s Texas Sheetcake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Raspberry and Hazlenut Friands from Happy Baking Days
- Semolina Balls (Suji Laddoo) from Soni’s Food
- Too-Good-to-Be-Lowfat Chocolate Eclair Icebox Dessert from The Weekend Gourmet
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, May 12th to celebrate Mother’s day! Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST, but we’ll also be tweeting throughout the day and sharing recipes that celebrate mom.