Remember when I posted the perfect pairing of Liberte yogurt with pistachio and white chocolate biscotti a few weeks ago? They asked me to do a second pairing, and I decided to take a more traditional approach with this hazelnut mocha granola. I know I just posted a carrot cake granola recipe like 5 seconds ago. What can I say? I’ve been on a granola kick lately! I just can’t get enough of the crunch!
This granola is very different from the one I posted a few weeks ago though. That one was healthy and full of vegetables and quinoa; this hazelnut mocha granola is pure indulgence. It’s rich and chocolatey, with an espresso kick and loads of nuts. If the other recipe was a granola version of cake, this recipe is a candy version of granola.
It also uses a completely different technique, with olive oil instead of butter (for a more neutral base that allows the mocha flavor to shine though) and an egg white that helps it break into big, super crunchy chunks. Layer it with Liberte Mediterranee coconut yogurt and frozen cherries for a breakfast that tastes like dessert! The granola itself is really rich and not exactly light in calories, but paired with yogurt I find that about a quarter to a half serving is more than satisfying.
(Also, I’m kind of obsessed with this coconut yogurt. The vanilla was good, but the coconut is pure decadence. It’s crazy rich and basically tastes like pure cream, with tons of coconut-y goodness. It’s a little hard to find, but the next time I see it, I’ll definitely stock up.)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup loosely packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Heat oven to 325*F.
- In a large bowl, combine first 7 ingredients to form a smooth paste. Stir in the oats and hazelnuts. Press into a thin layer on a baking sheet; bake 40 minutes, stirring halfway through, until toasted.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Break into large pieces into smaller clumps.
This post was created in partnership with Liberte Yogurt; I was compensated for my time creating the perfect pairing recipe for hazelnut mocha granola. All opinions are my own.