This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sargento Foods, Inc.. All opinions are 100% mine.
Over the past few weeks, I’ve seen dozens of blog posts and even more Pinterest pins about what to pack in your kid’s lunchbox. It’s that time of year so it’s to be expected, but what about the rest of us? Do adults not deserve delicious lunches too?
A recent survey revealed that a third of North American employees don’t take a lunch – and half of those who do eat at their desk. I’ll admit to eating at my desk more often than not, but no lunch at all? That’s just unthinkable. At the very least, I need to stretch my legs mid-day and I almost always bring a fresh, nutritious lunch that I look forward to all morning. That’s why I agreed to partner with Sargento to create a recipe for their “Take aReal Lunch!” campaign.
These grilled asparagus and provolone flatbreads are super simple to make – they take less than a half hour – and they keep great in the refrigerator all week. They’r also delicious eaten at room temperature, so if you don’t have access to a refrigerator or microwave at your office you can still enjoy them. Just pack them up with an ice pack in the morning and you’re good to go!
A barbecue grill mimics the hot, dry heat of a pizza oven, helping these flatbreads to bubble up and get a beautiful char. The grill also gives them a subtle smokey flavor that pairs perfectly with provolone cheese. I use the ultra thin cut since it gives you just the right amount of cheesy flavor without being too heavy or greasy – after all, you need to get back to work after lunch, so you don’t want something that will leave you needing a nap!
Seasoned ricotta keep that flatbread from being too dry, and a tangle of shaved asparagus keeps everything light and fresh.
Super simple, but so, so good. Everything just works together perfectly. You definitely won’t be tempted to skip lunch if you have one of these!
Grilled Asparagus + Provolone Flatbread
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 cup part skim ricotta
- 1 tablespoon Tuscan seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 2-4 tablespoons Gold Medal flour (for dusting)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 pieces Sargento ultra thin sliced provolone
- Prepare your grill for indirect cooking by turning one burner to hot. Close the lid and let the grill heat to 550 degrees.
- While the grill heats, use a vegetable peeler to shave the asparagus into long, thin strips. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix the ricotta, Tuscan seasoning, and crushed red pepper.
- Divide the dough into eight equal pieces. Dusting with flour as needed to make the dough easier to work with, shape dough piece into a thin round, about 6 inches across. Brush with olive oil.
- Grill over direct heat until the top of each crust is dry and puffy and the bottom is lightly charred, 2-3 minutes. Remove from grill and flip over. Spread the grilled side of each crust with seasoned ricotta and two slices of provolone. Top with shaved asparagus. Return to direct heat and grill for 2-3 minutes, then move to the other side of the grill and cook over indirect heat for 4-6 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Season to taste with additional crushed red pepper.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 300kcal Calories from fat 105|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 12g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|