Last week, I got a super strong crazing for tzatziki. I couldn’t stop thinking about it! Eventually, I knew I needed to give in and make a Greek-inspired dinner. At first I thought I would make souvlaki, but I had already eaten a sandwich for lunch I didn’t really want more bread. I ended up throwing together these Greek Chicken Rice Bowls, and a new obsession was born.
I ate them three times last week, and I’m already looking forward to making them again.
These Greek chicken bowls are really simple to prepare, but have so many flavors and textures that make them really find to eat – cool, creamy sauce; crunchy cucumbers; juicy tomatoes; soft, grilled zucchini, fluffy rice; and marinaded chicken complete with crispy skin.
They’re especially good this time of year, when zucchini and tomatoes are still in season and it’s still warm enough outside to fire up the grill. Once the weather cools off, switch things up by broiling the chicken and using oven-roasted tomatoes.
If you’re feeling extra fancy, add a few stuffed grape leaves to really take things over the top – our local grocery stores usually have them at the olive bar.
Greek Chicken Rice Bowls
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning (I used Greek Freak by Spiceologist)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 cucumber, half chopped and half grated
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped dill
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Place the chicken thighs in a shallow dish, skin-side up. Combine the Greek seasoning, olive oil, and lemon juice; pour over chicken. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Grill or broil the chicken over high heat for 10 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Brush the zucchini with olive oil and grill 3-5 minutes per side, or until soft.
- While the chicken cooks, combine the chopped cucumber and tomato. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the tzatziki by combining the yogurt, shredded cucumber, vinegar, 1 teaspoon olive oil, garlic, and dill. Season to taste with salt.
- Serve the chicken, zucchini, tomato cucumber salad, and tzatziki over rice.