Thanks to Duncan Hines for sponsoring my writing. There’s no limit to the baking possibilities, so grab your favorite Duncan Hines mix and Comstock or Wilderness fruit fillings and Bake On! www.duncanhines.com.
When it comes to holiday parties, I subscribe to a few rules: Go big or go home. It’s not a party if there’s no cheese. Calories don’t count in December.
OK calories still count, but not during parties. Especially ones that I’m throwing.
Since I enjoy cooking more than baking, I usually go nuts with appetizers, make a few pitchers of my favorite cranberry margaritas, and keep dessert simple with a tray of brownies. That way, I don’t have to worry about running back and forth to the oven to swap out cookie sheets but there’s still a sweet treat for everyone to enjoy. Brownies also just so happen to cook at the same temperature as my Cranberry and Pear Baked Brie, which makes things pretty easy and helps cut down on kitchen related stress.
The only problem is that Shawn and I can never agree on what kind to make. I like them full of warm chai spices; he likes them oozing with bourbon. I thought eggnog brownies might be a good compromise, then decided to take things a step further and add the cheesecake component as well. Why not, right?
These brownies were an instant hit, and have gone straight to the top of my list of favorites. I’m not hosting a party this year but, if you invite me to yours, I’ll probably show up with a tray of these.
Eggnog Cheesecake Swirled Brownies
Prep Time: 10 minutes; Total Time: 1 Hour
These thick and fudgy brownies are swirled with a festive layer of rich, eggnog cheesecake, resulting in a dessert that’s the best of both worlds. Packaged brownie mix keeps things simple, but you can substitute your favorite fudge brownie recipe as well.
- 1 box Dunkin Hines Chewy Fudge Brownie Mix
- 2 Eggs plus 1 Egg Yolk
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- 1 teaspoon Dark Rum or Bourbon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon each Vanilla Extract, Cinnamon, and Nutmeg
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese (full or reduced fat)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9×9 brownie pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the brownie mix, 2 eggs, water and oil. Beat until smooth. Add the egg yolk to a second mixing bowl. Use a whisk or hand mixer to beat the yolk until it becomes plate yellow and frothy. Stir in the sugar, milk, rum or bourbon (if using) and spices until combined. Beat in the cream cheese – the mixture should be smooth, with a yogurt-like consistency.
- Pour 2/3 of the brownie batter into the prepared pan, shaking the pan gently so the batter distributes evenly. Top with the cheesecake batter. Spoon the remaining brownie batter over the cheesecake layer. Drag a butter knife through the pan to create a marbled design.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pan comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting.
Remember to check out Duncan Hines’ website www.duncanhines.com to find some great recipes for your holiday get-together! I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective.