It’s getting to be the time of year when I plan to make soup at least once a week. In addition to being a quick weeknight meal, soup is an easy go-to for weekday lunches – something I’m especially grateful for when I’m trying to avoid holiday related weight gain.
I stumbled on this recipe for sweet potato soup on the Food + Wine website one afternoon and made it for dinner that night. I love potato soup, but it had never occurred to me to use sweet potatoes before! I skipped the fried cinnamon-sugar tortillas in the original recipe and paired the soup with cheese quesadillas for a warmly satisfying meal.
Creamy Sweet Potato and Chipotle Soup
This creamy sweet potato soup, which gets sweetness from apples spice from chipotle peppers and fresh ginger, is a great source of Vitamins A and C. It’s also perfect for dunking - try it with cheese quesadillas for a warm winter meal. Adapted from Food + Wine Magazine .
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated Ginger
- 2 Gala Apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 Celery Rib, chopped
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Chipotle Pepper (from a can of Chipotles in Adobo), chopped
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- Heat the oil in a 3 quart soup pot set over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the apples, celery, and sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, water and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until vegetables are soft - about 30 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick and stir in the chipotle pepper.
- Working in batches as needed, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Return to pot to keep warm.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 253kcal Calories from fat 58|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 6g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|