Crispy chipotle quinoa fritters with spicy dipping sauce are a game day hit!
[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”4705936″]
Last fall, I attended a dinner as part of the New York City Wine and Food Festival and one of the biggest hits of the night was a falafel-type fritter made with quinoa, white beans, and broccoli. I’ve been looking for an excuse to play with this idea ever since!
I finally found the perfect opportunity: This week, #SundaySupper is being sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards and it’s all about game day entertaining. Wine probably isn’t the first thing to come to most people’s minds when they think about football – I know it certainly isn’t for me – but it actually pairs with game day foods really well. Reds go great with meaty dishes like ropa vieja; crisp whites are perfect alongside fried foods.
I created these Chipotle Quinoa Fritters with Gallo’s chardonnay in mind and, as anticipated, the pairing was a huge hit. The fritters were smokey and spicy (but not too spicy!) and came with a fantastic dipping sauce that has the perfect amount of kick. They’re also loaded with protein and fiber from quinoa, chickpeas, and cauliflower. The chardonnay was perfect for washing away any lingering spiciness between bites, so each fritter tasted just as good as the one before.
Chipotle Quinoa Fritters #SundaySupper
Look for canned chipotles in adobo near the Mexican food at your grocery store. For this recipe you'll use the peppers and the adobo sauce that they're packed in.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup finely chopped cauliflower
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 chipotle peppers, finely chopped plus 2 tablespoons adobo
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons adobo
- In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cauliflower, garlic, shallot and simmer another 5 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in the mozzarella, chopped chipotles, adobo, and salt. Add the chickpeas and egg; use a potato masher or heavy wooden spoon to mash everything together, breaking the chickpeas down into a relatively smooth paste.
- Use a teaspoon to form the mixture into rounds; coat with bread crumbs.
- In a large pan, heat 2-inches of oil to 275ºF. Add the fritters and cook until golden brown, 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove from the oil and let drain on a cooling rack set over some paper towels.
- While the fritters cool, prepare the dipping sauce by mixing together the yogurt, lime juice, and adobo. Add salt to taste.
- Serve the chipotle quinoa fritters and dipping sauce warm or at room temperature.
Recipe NotesRecipe adapted from Judith Choate's Quinoa Fritters with YogurtHerb Dipping Sauce
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 276 Calories from fat 165|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 18||28%|
|Saturated Fat 5||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 3||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|
A huge thank you to Gallo Family Vineyards for sponsoring this week’s Sunday Supper! Find their wines near you using their store locator or connect with them online via facebook, twitter, instagram, and youtube.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
- Bacon Wrapped Maple Scallops by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Bean and Chorizo Dip by Foxes Love Lemons
- Beer Braised Szechuan Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Blue Cheese Burger Bites by Country Girl In The Village
- Chipotle Quinoa Fritters by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cilantro Lime Marinated Shrimp by Ruffles & Truffles
- Game Day Pepperoni Pizza Dip by Family Foodie
- Game Day Pulled Pork Nachos by girlichef
- Goat Cheese, Bacon, and Pistachio Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Grilled Steak Sliders with Chimichurri Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Honey Dijon Glazed Wings by The Foodie Army Wife
- Honey Ham Barbecue by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip by The Dinner-Mom
- Korean-style Clams by kimchi MOM
- Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch by Magnolia Days
- Spicy Sausage Rolls by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Spinach Balls by Shocklingly Delicious
- Spinach Lasagna Cups by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Skins by The Wimpy Vegetarian