Moist, lightly sweet buttermilk coffee cake swirled with blueberries and lavender and topped with a lemon glaze. I’m going to let you in on a little secret: dragging my butt out of bed in the morning is so much easier when I have this to look forward to!
I couldn’t even wait for my coffee to finish brewing this morning before I snuck my first sliver. (I may or may not have had another slice while I was cooking dinner tonight.)
If you haven’t tried lavender in cooking yet, or if you haven’t been a huge fan of it in the past, don’t be scared away. This recipe uses the tiniest little bit mixed in with the blueberries. Just enough to give them an ever-so-subtle perfume-y taste that goes perfectly with their natural sweetness. The tart lemon glaze on top keeps everything in balance.
The cake itself is plain, but far from boring. It’s rich and moist and has a slight tang from the buttermilk that gets baked into it. Since I planned this cake for breakfast, I used some white whole wheat flour. I love white whole wheat – it has all of the benefits of whole wheat flour, but with a lighter color and softer texture. You can’t even tell that it’s in there!
Plus, look at the bag! So cute. I mean, if that doesn’t want you to tie on your frilliest apron and bake a cake, I don’t know what will! If it has the added benefit of making me add whole gain goodness to my baked goods, well, that’s just an added bonus.
Blueberry-Lavender Coffee Cake
There are only a few weeks of blueberry season left. What are you waiting for? This rich, moist cake is at its best after sitting overnight, which makes it the ultimate make-ahead breakfast.
For the filling
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dried lavender
For the cake1 cup Gold Medal white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Gold Medal all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the glaze
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Prepare filling by combining blueberries, water, honey, and lavender in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until thick and syrupy. Let cool.
- Heat oven to 350*F. Grease the bottom and sides of a loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking soda and salt. In a second bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla. Stir in half the dry ingredients – the batter will be very thick and doughy. Stir in half the buttermilk – the batter will thin back out. Repeat.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan. Spread with blueberry filling. Top with remaining batter. (The pan will be 1/2 to 3/4 full).
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. Let cool.
- Add the confectioners sugar and lemon juice to a small saucepan set over medium heat. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted. Immediately drizzle over the cake.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 175kcal Calories from fat 60|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 7g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Disclosure: This post was brought to you in partnership with Gold Medal Flour. I was paid to create this recipe for them. All opinions are my own.