Balsamic chicken and mushrooms might not be the prettiest dish to look at, but it tastes absolutely lovely.
The chicken is browned on the outside and juicy in the middle, the mushrooms are earthy, and the balsamic gravy has the perfect touch of sweetness. Served over creamy parmesan polenta with a bitter green vegetable like broccoli rabe or swiss chard on the side, this is the kind of meal that will leave everyone (including the cook!) impressed.
I used to make a similar dish back when I didn’t know how to cook was in grad school. It was one of our favorite dinners, and we ate it probably once a week for months on end until it somehow fell off of my radar. I haven’t thought about it in years!
I was recently brainstorming recipe ideas featuring Marzetti Simply Dressed Salad Dressings (I’ve partnered with them to create some healthy new recipes) when I remembered the dish. I knew right away that I had to give my old recipe an update! In the updated recipe, the chicken gets dredged in flour to help it get a gorgeous golden crust, white mushrooms are swapped out for an earthy and elegant combination of crimini and porcini mushrooms, and Marzetti Simply Dressed Balsamic replaces the shallot, vinegar, and mustard mixture that the old recipe called for. The dressing is a creamy one, not a vinaigrette, so it might seem a little strange at first. It definitely made me pause while I was cooking. The second it hit the pan though, I knew it would work. The resulting gravy is velvety smooth without being thick, and the flavor is perfectly balanced. All it needs is a smattering of freshly cracked pepper and you’re good to go.
Easy peasy. And perfect for a weeknight.
Bottled dressing makes this balsamic chicken and mushrooms quick and easy! Serve it with creamy parmesan polenta or mashed potatoes to soak up the extra sauce.
30 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1/4 ounce Dried Porcini Mushrooms
- 2 thin Chicken Breasts, or one breast spit crosswise (about 1/2 pound total)
- 2 teaspoons Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 6 ounces Crimini Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Marzetti Simply Dressed Balsamic Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Fresh Parsley
- Rehydrate the porcini mushrooms, either by boiling them for 2 minutes or by soaking them for 30 minutes. Drain and slice, reserving the broth for another use.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour to coat lightly. Heat the oil in a large skillet oven medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken. Cook 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the mushrooms to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft and lightly browned. Whisk together the dressing and broth; pour over mushrooms. Add the chicken; simmer 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Season with cracked black pepper and garnish with fresh parsley.
Want a chance to try this recipe yourself? I have a giveaway with everything you’ll need – plus a few extras! The gift pack includes:
- 5 VIP Simply Dressed Coupons for free dressing
- $35 Visa gift card for ingredients
- Marzetti women’s half apron
- Marzetti Simply Dressed stainless knife set with cutting board
- Wood salad plates, including one platter, one 10 inch plate, four 7X8 inch plates and one 5 inch plate
Enter using the Rafflecopter widget below (you might need to wait a second for it to load) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Marzetti Simply Dressed.” I’ll pick a winner next Wednesday, March 13.
This post was brought to you in partnership with Marzetti Simply Dressed Refrigerated Salad Dressings. I was compensated for my time commitment to the program as well as my writing about my experience. I have also been provided products for review. However, the recipe for balsamic chicken and mushrooms and all opinions are my own. Always have been, always will be.