Homemade baked sweet potato and beet chips are a nutritious snack that’s fun enough for a party. Ramp up the flavor by serving them with creamy horseradish dip!
I created this recipe for my client, GO VEGGIE. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep me inspired in the kitchen.
In the beginning of January I’m always excited to recommit myself to healthy eating; a few weeks in I start to lose my resolve. I can’t help it – I love snacks! Plus, it seems like no matter how late I eat lunch, I’m always starving when I get home from work. If I don’t have a healthy option ready to go, I’m likely to eat whatever I can grab quickly.
So, let’s make a healthy snack! These baked sweet potato and beet chips are about as good as it gets. (I told you I’m obsessed with beets these days!) They’re made from thinly sliced root vegetables tossed in a little bit of olive oil, then baked until they’re super crisp. They take a little bit of time to make, but they keep for a few days so you can make a batch on the weekend and have them ready to go all week.
The earthy, sweet flavor of the vegetables give these chips a ton of flavor, but what good are chips without dip? I like the match the sweet chips with spicy dip. This horseradish dip has a great kick, but the creamy base keeps it tame.
I use GO VEGGIE classic plain cream cheese for the base of this dip. It’s made with coconut and has 25% less saturated fat than traditional cream cheese, so you won’t feel like you’re abandoning your healthy new year’s resolutions. Plus its super creamy, smooth base is perfect for dip!
The dip itself is really simple: the cream cheese and a splash of nondairy milk, plus lots and lots of freshly grated horseradish and a glug of vinegar. I also like to add some fresh herbs, like parsley and chives, to give it even more flavor.
Baked Sweet Potato and Beet Chips with Horseradish Dip
For the chips
- 3 large beets, scrubbed
- 2 sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 generous pinches kosher salt, divided
for the dip
- 1 container GO VEGGIE classic plain cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 1/3 cup freshly grated horseradish
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped chives
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Use a mandolin to slice the vegetables very thin rounds – about 1/8 inch or thinner. Place the sliced beets in one bowl and the sliced sweet potatoes in another. Toss each with 1 tablespoon oil and a good pinch of salt. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes, to allow some of the liquid to sweat out of the vegetables.
- Drain off the liquid (about 1/4 from the beets and few tablespoons from the potatoes) and pat dry with a paper towel. Arrange in a single layer on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 300ºF for 1 hour and 15 minutes, turning halfway through. Remove from the oven and let cool (the chips will continue to crisp). Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Meanwhile, make the dip by mixing the cream cheese and milk until smooth. Stir in the horseradish, vinegar, herbs, and salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to let the flavors meld. (The horseradish will taste stronger after the dip is chilled.)
The beets and sweet potatoes will shrink considerably (about 50%) as they bake. Use large ones so the resulting chips aren't tiny!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 132kcal Calories from fat 79|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 9g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|