So… winter’s here, huh? When I went out to my car yesterday morning, it was 3 degrees. Three! And that was before the windchill. Unacceptable.
This weather makes me want to curl up in a blanket, drink buckets of hot tea, and watch Law & Order reruns all day. Things I don’t feel like doing? Getting dressed, leaving the house, and cooking. To be honest, I don’t even really feel like eating… unless I’m handed something steamy hot and spicy, cheesy, or creamy.
I made these baked eggs last weekend, and they’re perfect for this time of year. The eggs are poached in spicy tomato sauce and garlicky spinach until the yolks are deliciously creamy and the sauce is piping hot, then topped with just enough feta to add a little saltiness. Be sure to have plenty of warm bread on hand, because you’ll want to sop up every last drop of sauce.
A word of warning though: once you try these, they’ll be the only thing you want to eat.
Baked Eggs in Spicy Sauce
The flavor of this dish really hinges on the sauce, so be sure to use a good one. If you happen to have homemade sauce, now would be the perfect time to break it out. I don't have the patience to make good sauce so I use Victoria's brand Fra Diavlo, which has a great flavor and is easy to find.
I use 3 cup ramekins for this because they're the best size that I have. They're a little larger than necessary and the deep shape means the egg will take a few extra minutes to cook. If you use smaller dishes, start checking your eggs after about 8 minutes.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, smashed
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1-2 Tablespoons Water
- 2 cups good-quality Fra Diavlo Sauce
- Crushed Red Peppers
- 4 large Eggs
- Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 ounce Feta Cheese, crumbled
- Warm bread for serving
- Heat oven to 350*F.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant and beginning to brown. Add the spinach and water. Stir, then cook until just wilted.
- Ladle 1/2 cup sauce into each of two 3-cup ramekins or small, oven-safe bowls. Stir in the spinach; top with remaining sauce. Season to taste with crushed red pepper, if desired.
- Carefully crack 2 eggs into each ramekin (to be safe, crack into a saucer first to prevent broken yolks). Season with black pepper. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until the egg white are just set. Sprinkle with feta; broil 3-5 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown and the eggs are cooked to you liking.
- Serve with warm bread to sop up the extra sauce.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 250 Calories from fat 173|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 19||29%|
|Saturated Fat 2||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|
All nutrition information is an estimate and may vary based on the brands of ingredients you use.