When we lived in DC, Shawn was obsessed with Taquitos from 7-11. You know the ones that sit there all day on the little rollers? Yeah, those. When I discovered how easy it was to make baked flautas, it was only a metter of time before I recreated his favorite version, stuffed full of Buffalo Chicken. This was the result of trying to satisfy his craving.
I was always too sketched out to try the ones from 7-11 – I stuck with coffee or, if I happened to be at the one location genius enough to make them, Slurpees made with Crystal Light pink lemonade – so I didn’t have much of a guideline to work with but, if I do say so myself, these were pretty darn good. Shawn happily scarfed them down, so I think its safe to say they have his seal of approval too.
As I developed this recipe, I took some of the most popular requests from my flauta recipe into account – namely using chicken breasts instead of thighs and eliminating the beer. In order to balance out the drier cut of chicken and add some extra nutrients and fiber, I added mashed white beans to the fillings They have a mild flavor and you can’t tell they’re in there (Shawn had no idea!) but they keep the filling nice and moist.
I also used corn tortillas instead of flour. I love the flavor and the less delicate nature of the corn tortillas, but they were more difficult to work with. Moistening the dry tortillas and microwaving them for 30 seconds helped make them more pliable, but no matter how careful I was with them, they still had a tendancy to split/crack. It meant that some of the Taquitos weren’t nearly as pretty as others; if you plan on serving these to guests, you might want to plan on making a few extra just in case (but the ugly ones were still delicious!)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
- ½ Onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Water
- ½ cups Buffalo Sauce (I like Franks Red Hot)
- 1 cup Shredded Fat Free Mozzarella
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) Cannellini Beans, mashed
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 18 6-inch Corn or Flour Tortillas, warmed
- ¼ cup Sour Cream (full or reduced fat)
- 3 tablespoons Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Put the chicken and onions in a deep sided saute pan and cover with the broth and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the chicken from the liquid and shred it. In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, onions, Buffalo sauce, mozzarella, beans, and spices. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center of a tortilla. Roll the tortilla up, then place seam-side down on an oiled baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Spritz the tops of the taquitos with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn them over and bake for until 10 minutes, or until crispy.
- Combine the sour cream and blue cheese crumbles, mixing vigorously. Serve the taquitos with the sauce.