I don’t know about you, but I almost always have at least one box of cereal that’s about to go stale so this event struck me as a brilliant idea. The three ideas that I came up with – spicy Thai party mix, Mexican hot chocolate bowls, and low-fat cannoli parfaits – are great ways to give new life to a box of cereal that you’ve gotten tired of. In fact, they might even inspire you to buy a new box just for making mixes – they’re that good!
Spicy Thai Party MIx “Mexican Hot Chocolate” Cereal Bowls Low Fat Cannoli Parfait
This Spicy Thai Party Mix was our favorite of the three mixes – Shawn actually declared it "the best thing ever!" If you don't have coconut oil, replace with it butter (or a butter spread) and add 2 Tablespoons shredded coconut in with the pineapple.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoonSriracha sauce
- 2 cups Fiber One Honey Squares
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup dried pineapple, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 tablespoons mini marshmallows
- 3 cups Fiber One Chocolate Squares
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups [b]skim milk
- 1/2 cup fat free or reduced fat ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Fiber One Chocolate Squares
- 1/4 cup chopped strawberries or cherries
- 1 tablespoon pistachio nut meats
- Heat oven to 250F.
- In medium baking pan, melt coconut butter in oven (if coconut butter is in a solid state). Mix in soy sauce and sriracha. Add cereal and cashews; turn to coat well. Bake 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; stir in pineapple.
- Heat oven to 200F. When oven has heated, turn it off and let cool 10 minutes. On a baking sheet, spread marshmallows in a single layer. Place into cooled oven; leave the door slightly ajar. Let marshmallows dry for 1 hour.
- In a plastic bag, combine cereal, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Shake well to coat the cereal with the spices. Add marshmallows.
- Serve cereal in a bowl with milk.
- In a small bowl, combine cheese, sugar and vanilla; blend until smooth.
- Divide between two serving dishes. Layer with cereal, berries and nuts.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 295 Calories from fat 120|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 13||20%|
|Saturated Fat 7||35%|
|Dietary Fiber 7||28%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|
This post was done in partnership with FiberOne. I was compensated for developing the three mix-in recipes, but all opinions are my own.