Earlier this week, I set out to make delicious, healthy waffles. I compared all of my favorite recipes and figured out what it was that I liked about each one, made a few extra tweaks, then tested several batches. This is what I ended up with, and they’re not just delicious for healthy waffles – they’re flat-out delicious. I love when things work out like that!
Each of these protein-packed waffles is as light as a cloud, with a crispy, crackle-y crust and a center that’s so light it practically disappears. (You know the way cotton candy evaporates in your mouth? The center of these reminds me of that!) Malted milk powder gives them a hefty punch of bold flavor, and protein powder means they’ll keep you full all day. There’s some whole wheat flour in there too, but I promise you’ll never be able to tell.
These waffles are best straight off the iron, but they can also be frozen and toasted for an easy grab-and-go breakfast. The flavor of these is complex, so I don’t like to cover them up with syrup. Just give me some freshly whipped cream and summer berries and I’m a happy camper!
ViShape protein powder is sweet cream flavored. If using a different brand of powder, you might need to add some vanilla extract and sweeten to taste.
- ½ cup Gold Medal white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup ViSalus ViShape protein powder
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons malted milk powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg, separated
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, protein powder, cornstarch, malted milk powder, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Mix well. Stir in the milk, oil, and egg yolk.
- Add the egg whites to a second bowl. Use a hand mixer to whip the eggs whites until they're thick and shiny and hold a stiff peak. Fold the egg whites into the waffle batter.
- Spray your waffle iron with cooking spray. Add ¼ cup batter and cook on highest setting, continue cooking and extra minute or so, keeping a close eye on it so your waffle doesn't burn. Carefully remove from waffle iron. Keep warm on a rack set in a 200-degree oven until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining batter.
This post was sponsored by ViSalus. I received a sample of their Vi-Shape protein powder and was paid to create a recipe using it. All opinions are my own.