Citrus + Avocado Salad
|February 5, 2013||Posted by Lauren Keating under Light, Quick Weeknight Meals, Salads, Sides, special projects|
This post brought to you by Avocados from Mexico. All opinions are 100% mine.
February is always the worst month: It’s freezing cold, the days are short and dark, and it’s officially time to take down the Christmas lights which makes the neighborhood about 750% less beautiful. Basically, it’s just blah. Lately, I’ve been trying to find ways to brighten up the day – from cheesy valentine’s crafts to bright, summery salads like this one made from sweet-tart winter citrus and creamy avocado. It’s great for breakfast and is perfect as a light side dish. Over a bed of lettuce, it’s even substantial enough to be a meal.
It’s hard to imagine now, but I didn’t like avocados very much when I was younger. I think it was the texture that turned me off. But then I feel in love with guacamole when we were on our honeymoon in Mexico and I haven’t looked back. I eat avocados all different ways now but they always take me back the beach in Mexico. It’s basically impossible for me not to smile while I’m eating some. If you love avocados too, be sure to check out Avocados from Mexico’s facebook page – I’ve been following them for a while now and they’re always posting really fantastic looking recipes and fun trivia items. They also have a new Share the Avocado Love Facebook app where you can download wallpapers, screensavers, and a super fun beachy ringtone (that I just listened to 6 times and the promptly put on my phone).
They also set up the Avocados from Mexico Cafe Press store where you can buy coffee mugs, shopping bags, and other things like that. I ordered a platter (see it at the bottom of this post); I can’t wait for it to arrive! Definitely check them out!
If you want to chat more about avocados and have a chance to win some great prizes, you can also join the #iloveavocados twitter party with @guacgirl from 3:00-4:00 on February 7.
- 1 Red Grapefruit
- 1 Cara Cara Orange
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon Honey (optional)
- Cut the grapefruit and orange in half crosswise (not through the stem ends), then slice into thin rounds. Use a paring knife to carefully trim away the peel. Arrange on a serving platter. Peel and slice the avocado; arrange over the fruit.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice and olive oil. If your fruit is bitter, whisk in the honey to taste.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- Server immediately.
4 Points+. All nutrition information is an estimate and may very based on brands of ingredients used.
– This post was brought to you in partnership with Avocados from Mexico. The recipe for citrus and avocado salad and all opions are my own. Always have been, always will be.