Unfortunately, I wasn’t in the mood for sweets, so I searched for a savory recipe to make an settled on these blueberry-honey cornmeal muffins. We had some beautiful weather last week (with highs near the 80s!) and I made these muffins the cornerstone of a summertime-inspired meal of we ate them with barbecue chicken, grilled asparagus, and potato salad. I really loved the contrast of the slightly sweet muffins with the smokey, barbecue flavors.
I was really surprised by how easy they were to make! It only took about 5 minutes to mix up the batter and then 20 minutes in the oven. They also didn’t call for any fancy ingredients – with the exception of the blueberries, I already had everything that I needed to make them.
The muffins had a coarse, gritty texture (more like cornbread than a more delicate corn muffin). They were dry, but the blueberries added pockets of moisture. They’re fabulous drizzled with more honey or spread with butter.
Blueberry-Honey Cornmeal Muffins
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Adapted from Krissy’s Creations.
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tablespoons Honey, divided
- 1/2 cup Skim Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1-1/2 cups Blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 370*F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Combine the olive oil, 1/3 cup honey, milk, eggs, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the flour, cornmeal, and baking powder, and stir until fully incorporated. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups and bake for 15 minutes. Drizzle the tops of the muffins with the remaining honey and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center fo a muffin comes out clean.