I stole this recipe from Je Mange La Ville. It was just as delicious as it looks, and not difficult to make as long as you do your prep first. Next time I make it (there will be a next time), I’ll probabaly use less tomatoes- I thought they were a little overpowering. I served the steaks with mashed red potatoes; a green veggie would be good on the side too. I was a little intimidated by the amount of mushrooms after I sliced them, but they cook down a ton and are amazing. They all got eaten, and I’m not normally a huge mushroom fan.
2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
2 cups boiling water
1 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat
1 clove garlic, minced
3 oz herbed cheese spread, such as Boursin
1 cup baby spinach leaves
kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
15 or so button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup red wine (I used Shiraz cause that’s what I had)
1. Soak tomatoes in water for about 10 minutes. Drain and chop.
2. While tomatoes are soaking, pound steak to about 1/4″. Rub the top side with garlic. Salt and pepper it well.
3. Spread cheese over steak. Top with spinch and tomatoes. Roll up like a jellyroll and slice into 4 pieces. If you have them, use some skewers or twine to secure the pinwheels. I couldn’t find mine, so i was just careful and they were fine.
4. Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray, and cook steak abut 7 minutes on each side (they’ll be about medium). After you flip them, add the mushrooms to the pan.
5. Remove steaks and set aside to rest. Continue to cook the mushrooms for a bit, scraping up and filling that might have come out of the steaks. Deglaze with wine. Reduce to about half, 2 minutes or so.
6. Top the steaks with the mushroom mixture and enjoy!